For about half of women, pregnancy and back pain seem to go hand in hand.
About 10% of women report pain so severe it affects their day-to-day activities, yet only 21% of women with back pain seek any medical attention.
As your belly grows so does the amount of pain you experience.
There are a number of reasons you may be affected by back pain during pregnancy, including:
- Your uterus enlarging and shifting its center of gravity
- An increase of hormones such as relaxin causing joints to literally relax and become unstable
- The stretching of ligaments and tissues of the abdomen
- Physical pressure on the sacrum and nerve roots from your developing baby causing tingling in the legs
Each of the above listed factors cause a decrease in normal structure, function and stability of the spine.
At The Powerhouse, we look for CORE structural problems with the spine and nerve system. These core problems can lead to collateral damage, causing some of the pain and discomfort during pregnancy.
If you have a core structural problem with your spine, the increase in hormones and growing weight of your baby can exacerbate any back pain or collateral damage you previously had before becoming pregnant.
All of a sudden, simple movements you had no problem with before, like reaching, bending, and twisting, become difficult, and in some cases painful.
If you are planning on becoming pregnant, we recommend starting care as soon as possible to make sure you are in tip top shape to handle the stresses of pregnancy and birth.
What if you’ve had multiple births?
The muscles and ligaments may be stretched and more relaxed, especially if the mother hasn’t exercised to strengthen her pelvic floor muscles and tissue.
In this case, mom is more prone to structural pelvic misalignments, affecting the room for development of your baby and the comfort of your pregnancy.
What to do next?
Our best recommendation is to get started with a great maternity chiropractor, like the doctors at The Powerhouse. Studies show that greater than 90% of women who seek Chiropractic care during pregnancy are satisfied with their results.
If you want to make sure your pregnancy is as comfortable as possible, take the next step and book a consultation with one of the doctors at The Powerhouse today.
As an added bonus, we have made a list just for you, to further help reduce pain during pregnancy:
- Exercise and mobility. Starting this process before becoming pregnant means you’ll most likely have an easier pregnancy. Always consult a healthcare practitioner, including your chiropractor, before beginning a new exercise regime during pregnancy. We have a great resource for you that you can use to start at home today, just click here.
- Sleep on your left side to reduce pressure on the large blood vessels in your abdomen, as well as helping blood flow to both your uterus and yourself.
- Place a pillow between your legs while sleeping on your side.
- Take frequent breaks during the day and elevate your feet.
- Use a lumbar support pillow for long periods of sitting
- If working at a desk take frequent breaks every hour
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help when lifting objects, including other children
- Learn the proper method for getting up from bed to avoid abdominal splitting
FREE DOWNLOADGet Your FREE Guide & Learn 3 Things You Are Probably Doing Wrong For Your HealthDOWNLOAD NOW
ATTEND A LIVE WORKSHOPBuild your blueprint for an extraordinary life and discover the requirements for living your Life By Design GET MY TICKET
Share this Post