Chiropractic Care for PMS and Menstrual Pain: Finding Relief Naturally
What is PMS?
Understanding PMS and Menstrual Pain
Chiropractic Care for PMS and Menstrual Pain
- Spinal Alignment: Misalignments or subluxations in the spine can interfere with the proper functioning of the nervous system. Chiropractic adjustments realign the spine, allowing the nervous system to communicate more effectively with the rest of the body. This can help alleviate pain and reduce the severity of PMS symptoms.
- Hormonal Balance: Chiropractic care also influences the endocrine system, which is responsible for hormone regulation. Research suggests that spinal adjustments can help normalize hormone levels, potentially reducing PMS symptoms and menstrual pain.
- Muscular Tension and Relaxation: During PMS and menstrual pain, the muscles in the lower abdomen and lower back can become tense and tight. Chiropractic adjustments and soft tissue therapies, such as massage or stretching exercises, can help relax these muscles, leading to pain relief.
Research and Evidence:
- A 2017 study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine examined the effects of chiropractic care on 38 women with primary dysmenorrhea. The participants who received chiropractic adjustments reported significant improvements in pain intensity and duration compared to those in the control group.
- Another study published in the Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics in 2018 investigated the impact of chiropractic care on women with PMS. The results showed a significant reduction in PMS symptoms, including pain, bloating, and mood swings, following chiropractic treatments.
- A review published in the Journal of Chiropractic Medicine in 2016 summarized the existing literature on chiropractic care and menstrual pain. The authors concluded that chiropractic interventions, such as spinal adjustments and soft tissue therapies, were effective in reducing pain associated with dysmenorrhea.
Chiropractic offers a natural, drug-free approach to helping PMS and menstrual cramps.
By focusing on spinal alignment, hormonal balance, and muscle relaxation, a chiropractor can help women reduce the discomfort and stress associated with these conditions.
Although more research is needed, existing research supports the effectiveness of chiropractic interventions in relieving premenstrual pain.